Monday, August 1, 2011

Makoto @ DC

Makoto is probably one of my favorite lunch place.  Ever since my first visit, I have taken numerous friends here and have recommended it to so many people, and I have never heard any negative feedback.  Yes, you do have to dress in proper attire, you do have to take off your shoes before you enter the restaurant, silent and put away your cellphone, drink your miso soup without a spoon, and make reservation ahead of time.  But after you have tried their food, I don't think anyone would mind those "special" requirements.  Makoto not only offer a good varieties of food, but their food is at high quality, and also at an affordable price.       

I have been here so many times, and every time I tell myself I should try something else, but I always ended up getting their lunch box, which is always $17 fix price for all the food you get starting here...

Steam mussels in white wine
This is always my favorite course, the mussels were always fresh and cooked perfectly, and the soup is very flavorful. Every sip is heaven. I have probably had this more than 10 times, and it was always perfect.

Appetizer set - jelly fish in vinegar, marinated yellow tail, and squid with some root vegetables (which I have no idea what it is)
The appetizer changes every time, you get whatever the chef feels like serving you, everything was always delicately prepared.  This time, the marinated yellow tail really shined.

Steamed salmon with lemon and tofu
This is a continuation of the appetizers, I was feeling really good at this point already.

Entree Lunch Box
Starting from the top left, grilled fish with tamagoyaki, tuna sashimi, eggplant with black bean paste, shrimp, fish balls and assorted vegetables. Can't go wrong with Makoto's grill fish, it's always flaky and seasoned just right. Their sashimi is really fresh, I always wish they will give us more. The fish ball and eggplant were probably the weakest entree, the black bean sauce is slightly salty, overpowering the eggplant, and the fish ball was too tough. But just like the appetizers, you get different entree every time, it's all up to the chef.  The box also comes with miso soup and rice.

Grape sorbet with Grand Marnier
There was only one time when I got flan as the dessert, but other than that, it's always sorbet, sometimes it's orange, sometimes pomegranate, and this time it was grape.  I am not complaining though, their sorbet always taste good and refreshing.

Usually by the time you are done with all the food, given that you finished all the rice and miso soup...you should be having a hard time breathing.  But! It's worth it!


Makoto

Coming Up: Brasserie Becks

No comments:

Post a Comment