Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Mussel Bar @ Bethesda

Finally had the chance to visit Mussel Bar 2 weeks ago. 

Allagash White
 Thank god for the HH special price! Allagash White is a very delicious beer.

Pork Belly and Mussel Pizza
I have never had this combination before, but I have to say, it was very good! The pork belly is really tender, the mussels are kind of hard to notice, they are there, but I don't think it contribute anything to the overall taste of the pizza.  I would still order this even if pork belly is the only topping.  Definitely a must order item, especially if it's half price during HH.

Classic
For the main dish, we decided to go for the Classic Mussels - steamed in roasted garlic, shallots, cream and Sauvignon Blanc.  There are many other very interesting combo on the menu, but the white wine and cream sauce is my favorite.  I also have this mindset that a if you are call a Mussel Bar, having a good Classic Mussels should be a pretty fundamental thing to ask for. Just like if I go to a breakfast place, good scrabble eggs is minimum requirement, if they can't even make good scrabble eggs, how can I trust the other dishes on the menu, it's the simplest thing ever. So, I thought if the Classic type is good, the others can only be better.  So here comes the verdict, Mussels Bar's mussels.....are good, not fantastic, I have definitely had better at more affordable price. I would say Bistro Bis at Union Station, Bistro du Coin at Dupoint Circle and Chef Tony's at Bethesda have better mussels.  If you are a mussels fan like me, go check them out. 

French fries
You can add $2 and substitute the French fries for sweet potatoes fries, we meant to do that, but forgot to tell our server.  Even so, their French fries are really good; fresh, crispy, and seasoned well.

I won't go to Mussel Bar because of their Mussels, but I would go for the half price beer and pizza for HH.

Mussel Bar

Coming Up: The Cheese Truck

No comments:

Post a Comment